Friday, August 31, 2007

Final Score: ACLU 2 Me 45

I thought it was quite ironic yesterday when I was walking to the Red Line Grand Station and was approached by a kid from the ACLU holding a petition. I am not going to mention what the petition was for because once again, this is not a political forum. But he walked up to me and asked if I have a few minutes. Of course I said yes because the first thing that came to mind was my post about protestors and how I could add to it. So here it is. He started asking me if I would be willing to sign his petition to help re-shape our governement because we are currently in a "in a swirl that is going to turn us into a Nazi or Communist-like facist state". So here is how the conversation went:

Me: Didn't the ACLU defend the Nazi party here in Illinois in the late 70's and then in Cincinnati earlier this year?

ACLU: That is true, we were protecting there freedom of speech.

Me: I am all for the freedom of speech. But I think that the ACLU stepped in just to get their name in the paper and get publicity rather then standing up for freedom of speech.

ACLU: The ACLU stood up because they wanted to defend the rights of people because that is ultimately what they are, people.

Me: But you were publically standing up for people that do not just want to remove the rights of others, but also wanting those people to no longer exist in our society.

ACLU: Thats not the issue here. The issue is removing "act to remain nameless" so we can restore balance in our government.

Me: Do you think you would still be standing here right now if someone else was president? I think this is coming up because your organization has it out for the current president. When the new president in put in office, is this petition even going to exist anymore?

ACLU: Its not a matter of who is president.

Me: For some reason I dont beleive that. What is your stance on the Michael Vick situation? Are you with the NAACP on this one?

ACLU: We currently do not have a stance on that situation.

Me: Why not? Animals not your thing?

ACLU: Sir, this really has nothing to do with this petition.

Me: But it has something to do with your organization. You see I can't just pick and choose on when to support an organization. I also can't defend everyone. If you defend everyone, then whats the point of even defending anyone?

ACLU: We defend those who's rights have been infringed upon.

Me: Like Nazis trying to hold a demonstration in Skokie where there are a lot of Holocaust victims living or a prodominantly black nieghborhood in Cincinatti? If I screamed fire in a crowded movie theatre and during the stampede people were hurt or killed. Would you defend my freedom of speech or does that fall under clear and present danger?

ACLU: Sir, would you like to sign my petition?

Me: You haven't told me a reason why I should. I will look into it on the website and if for some reason I decide I want to sign I will do it there, not here.

So needless to say, I was not impressed by his lack of knowledge. I think it is ridiculous for a person to be able to stand on a corner with a politcal message, asking me to participate and they have no idea what they are talking about. One of the biggest reasons that I won that battle is that I kept him busy for 20 minutes. While we talked about 100 people walked by and were not bothered by this guy. Thats right, I win.

5 comments:

Cowboy said...

Guh... I'm so glad I'm a Canadian. There's so much less to worry about when you pay 52% taxes.

Jeen Yes said...

you're dead on with this one, hit. the ACLU's mission upon its initial creation was noble, just and right. but as with all rights and political action organizations, that message has been clouded by the need for publicity, notoriety, and clout. the ACLU, anymore, serves no purpose but its own. and this critique comes from a liberal.

Garden Fresh Market said...

You still have yet to make a rebuttle on our conversation from Friday. I Think I won that one.

Hitman said...

If you call taking my words, completely re-arranging them, forming a whole new statement and then telling me I was wrong a conversation, then I guess you win.

Garden Fresh Market said...

YES! You've admited defeat! hahahahahahaha