Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"We're Not Gonna Protest"

You'll understand that title if you have ever seen the 1994 film "PCU". I sincerely recommend this movie. Jeremy Piven is hilarious and a great example of a smartass.

The reason for this post is quite straight forward. I have become disgusted with protesters. In the digital age that we have entered in the last decade, there is no longer any reason to stand on a corner with a sign or peddle fliers. Why do people still think that this is a good way to try and get others to see their perspective? Yesterday I ended up working late. I finally got on the red line at about 7:30pm. By the time the train stopped at Fullerton, I was tired and hungry. This means that I was not in the mood for anything but a cigarette and a quick walk home with Pantera or Three Days Grace ringing in my ears. As soon as I walked out of the station, I am confronted by some jackass selling t-shirts. The t-shirt had the faces of President George W. Bush and his advisers and had large letters across the top that read "Wanted for Murder - The Bush Regime". I promptly side-stepped this asshole and headed down the block. Little did I know that they also had people selling them on the street corner. As I walked by, the guy held the t-shirt within 10 inches of my face. Not being in the mood for this behavior, I stopped, turned and looked him in the eye to reply, "Get a fucking job". Needless to say, neither of of us were very pleased with each other. But I still stand behind my statement. We all have opinions, I am not throwing my opinions in your face, so don't throw yours in mine.

The same goes for both sides of the abortion issue at the Dream Cruise in Michigan. If you have ever made it out to a Dream Cruise you will understand what I mean. Why do Pro-Life or Pro-Choice people think that they are going to be able to change the opinion of any one else by holding a sign? There are so many more positive things that you could be doing with your time. Educate yourself on the issues and organize a community group. This group will consist of other people who care about this issue and want to express their opinions. Or maybe you could spend time with your family and friends or start a website, blog or message board to exchange thoughts. Or maybe you should find ways to communicate with lobbyists and your local government to see if you could actually have some impact. I, personally, am not going to stop and talk to you on a street corner when I am trying to watch hundreds of classics cars drive by while drinking a beer. Please just get out of my face.

My whole point to this post is not to point a finger at either side of the political spectrum or any religious view. I simply want people to realize that when I am walking down the street or sitting on a train, I do not care what your opinions are. There is a reason I have my iPod on. I don't want to hear about how Cheney should be impeached, Bush is doing this or that, Congress blah blah blah, scientology, or any of this bullshit. There is a time and a place, and this isn't it. I am walking home from work, you know that place that people go to accomplish things, earn money and be a benefit to society.

And to use another movie quote that fits the ending of this post, "Go sell crazy somewhere else, because we're all stocked up here" (As Good as it Gets).

5 comments:

Hitman said...

This is not a forum for discussion on politics. Please do not clutter this blog with any political battles. This post is neutral and I hope that all of you will be as well.

Thank you.

Jeen Yes said...

that little weasel destroyed our theses!

whaddya need? phys. ed? get the fuck out. seriously, get out of my room.

best. movie. ever.

AC said...

Well written.Can you get the bums to stop cleaning my shoes after I say "no thank you" when I visit Chi-town? That'd be nice too and just as likely to end.

More people(not talking about bums)need to understand the concept of "Time and Place".

TJ said...

What about the time when that random teen band showed up to challenge Grinder to during the Dream Cruise does that constitute a protest.

"Gutter is a tool. Gutter is a tool."

Hitman said...

TJ,

For some weird reason, I dont constitute piling a bunch of musical equipment onto a flatbed trailor and pulling to the side of road is a protest. If I believed in protesting, I would have protested against Grinder. They were one of the worst bands I have ever seen. They only could have been out done by the kids standing on the trailor ready to fire up the 16 car batteries they had rigged to power up their equipment.