Thursday, August 30, 2007

We're no longer allowed near Higgins Lake

Some friends of mine and I went camping this last weekend at Higgins Lake in Michigan. But unfortunately, I do not think that we will ever be allowed back. There was not any particular incident that will keep us from returning, there were about 25 incidents. Obviously I will not be able to post all of them today, my lunch hour is only one hour. But I will start with this post and finish over the next couple of days.

My trip started in true Hitman fashion, horribly. I left work a half hour early so that I could head to Union Station an hour before my train was scheduled to depart. About an hour before I was to leave for the Station, a huge storm rolled through Chicago. It knocked out power to the Red Line, blew trees onto the Blue Line, flooded the streets and sent people running from cabs. This helped me out needing to get to the Station. I was fortunate enough to have a cab driver stop and tell at least about 15 that the cab was taken. I arrived at the Station with about 20 minutes left before the train would leave, which meant I only had 15 minutes to get my ticket because they will not relinquish tickets within 5 minutes of departure. Needless to say I was in a hurry. There were about 16 people in line ahead of me and most of them were in line well over an hour before their train was scheduled to leave. But for some reason none of them wanted to help me out or the other guys in line that had trains leaving within 15 minutes. There is no such thing as common courtesy anymore. After about ten minutes, they finally started letting us ahead of them and I made it onto the train with about 1.5 minutes to spare. Little did I know that the storm that ripped through Chicago had headed east and hit every city on my train ride home knocking out signals and blowing trees and branches onto the tracks. A 5 and a half hour train ride quickly turned into an eight hour train ride. I didn't make it to the bar that night.

We took off the next morning and headed to Higgins Lake. but we needed to make a stop in Birch Run first to buy some stuff at the Coleman Outlet store there. Within 4 minutes of being in the store we were not welcome any more even though we were planning on buying there stuff. We were loud and crude from the minute we walked in the door. We were all stoked up and ready to go for the weekend and could not contain ourselves. We quickly gathered the things that we needed and headed to the register. This stop was topped by one single comment by my friend Terry. "Why can't they build an air mattress with a built in vibrator? I mean, you know, those back massage things. Fuck you guys, you know what I mean."

Driving across the parking lot, we noticed a Dairy Queen and decided to drop in. We were waiting in line being obnoxious and Terry started talking about how cold it was in the store. Something you need to know is that Terry is notorious for not wearing shirts with sleeves. In this particular situation, he was wearing shorts and a wife-beater. We had been tormenting him about his beater since we left Sterling Heights. One well placed comment and he grabbed his wallet and chucked it at us. The funniest part is that the cheap metal bottle opener that Marlboro had sent him for his birthday flew out of his wallet and nailed the glass doors at the entrance and made a huge bang. The only people in the DQ were a group of blue hairs and a couple little kids who all jumped out of their seats in fright. There seems to be something about my group of friends and the next comment after something like this when it happens. My friend Dan turned to the cashier girl, looked her in the eye and pleaded, "Please don't spit in my shake."

To Be Continued...........

No comments: