Monday, August 20, 2007

Hey Buddy.....Your Collars Flipped Up

Can someone please explain to me why people flip their collars up. I am not a "trendy" person and that is on purpose. I am not a big fan of sporting the latest trends and making sure I know what all the douche bags in the world are up to. But at least most of the time I can kind of understand where someone is coming from or why they are portraying themselves as such a douche.

I know, you want an example. I can think back to when those braided belts were the thing to have. Oh yeah its great, you use it like a normal belt but you take the end and excess and curve it under the actual belt that you are using so it points down towards your feet. That was cool. Or how about rocking the "Skidz" pants. It doesn't really get much better then that. Wslking around wearing MC Hammer-esque pants that had the crazy designs that would through you into an epileptic seizure. Ok...last one. Sporting to longer hair that is split straight down the middle. I can remember tons of kids in grade school and high school that wore this style for years.

But I can not understand the "popped" collar. It makes no sense. You look like a tool. Especially the guys that will go out and buy the pastel blue and canary yellow polos with the alligator sewn on the front and wear them together, with both collars simultaneously "popped".

My friends and I were out on Saturday at a bar in Wicker Park. There was a group of douches that had decided to party at the same bar that night. One of which was actualy wearing that pastel blue polo mentioned earlier and anpther was wearing a blue bottom-down shirt with his "popped" as well. They looked like idiots, other then the fact that they obviously can't handle their beer. Among our group of friends that night were three very attractive young ladies. All of which were disusted by the "popped" display of these douches. One actually went over to the guy in the button-down and flipped his collar back for him. He acted as if he didn't even notice and just kind of acted as if she just wasn't there. But, within five minutes, the collar was back up and apparently ready for action.

So please, someone let me know why it seems to be the thing to make yourself look like a complete tool by displaying your collar in this fashion?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's easy...they think it's "money." For some reason, the more money you have, the more out of touch you become with reality and the bigger "douche" you become. I personally have other choice words for people like that, but I don't think they would be appropriate for this blog.

~The Lost One

Anonymous said...

Or they could be gay...that may explain why they didn't notice the 3 hot chicks, especially the one that put the idiots collar down to begin with...

Just a thought...

Garden Fresh Market said...

Dear Shmurty,

It has come to my attention that you are not a fan of the popped collar. I have some news for you. I am a collar popper. Yes. Me. Although I seem way to put together to be one, I do in fact buy Lacoste, and polos with specifically SHORTER collars in order to aide in my popped collar look. And yes, I have been guilty of the double pop you speak so highly of.

Call me a douche, call me out of style, but at LEAST I do not stoop so low as to Rock the popped collar AND wear my Old school Ugg boots. Now that's just plain sick.

Much Regards,
~ARM~

Hitman said...

ARM,

i dont really know what to sat, other then lame. Ty Cobb is the only person that I have ever seen that had a popped collar and couldn;t be judged for it. I have to let you know. I am kind of disappointed that this blog now carries the words "Lacoste" and "Ugg Boots". I contemplated removing your comment, but you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't understand it. I have come clean on that fact. But the truth is, I dont want to understand it. Just keep it away from me.

Cowboy said...

Ha ha, the popped collar. I suppose guys do this to look tough, like the Fonz. It is certainly a douche signifier, but it makes it easier to figure out who not to waste your time talking to.

Jeen Yes said...

the only thing worse than a popped collar is a popped collar accented by a fake tan and the overly spikey hair, a la the guidos from jersey. i think they all do it because they saw it on MTV and thought that if they did it they could get a prime spot at the beach house.

ps. does MTV still have a beach house? i haven't seen that channel in about 7 years.

Garden Fresh Market said...

1. Yes MTV still has a beach house.
2. I can understant why you all feel the way you do about the popped collar if you're look at like... "Growin Up Gotti" or something like that. But we're not all like that! I pop my collar because i think it's so plain jane to wear them down. Plus it's very catholic school uniform with it down. Yuck.

Togo Anferny said...

I will try to remain neutral prior to displaying how I wear my collar. I think on one hand it is certainly a trend, but EVERYTHING is a trend - the fact that we don't wear stuff (ie the Hammer pants and such) is a trend, it’s not "ok" to wear those in public anymore, so it’s a trend. Its much like the Emo / Goth - they try so hard to be different, that they've all become the same, at least popped collar supporters recognize that they are joining a trend and are ok with being the same as the next person that paid $80+ for the Wal-Mart quality polo with an animal sewn on the chest.

However, to comment on the actual blog, I feel that these gentlemen, specifically the one with the popped collar on the button down, we're doing it to "make fun" of the "douches" that are serious poppers. NO serious popper pops a button down; it’s a polo situ ONLY. And the fact that one of their lady friends put the collar down clearly signals that it was a topic of conversation, and the ladies of the group got embarrassed quicker than did the fellas, therefore causing her to put it down, and he was not quite done getting just the kind of rise or reaction out of fellow bar goer onlookers that go home and write a blog much like the one to which this comment belongs.

I think the whole of the story is that everything we do is a trend, the type of clothes that we wear today are a trend, as un trendy as you pride yourself on being, wear some metallic hammer pants and a tank top and I’ll call you non-trendy, but wearing a pair of jeans, shell top shoes, and a Detroit hat, hardly constitutes as unique or NON trendy.

By the way – I rock the collar both ways – it’s an attitude, not a style. There is a certain flare of arrogance (from which the douche description is derived) that is required when wearing a popped collar. If I have it that day, you best believe my collar is pointed towards the heavens, but I also recognize the importance of laying low and your collar reflecting such.

~Ry