Monday, August 13, 2007

Scratching that Itch

Yeah, its not what you think. Do you ever find yourself striving to get involved with projects or finding ways to scratch that creative itch? Kind of like starting a blog or creating a website. Using these tools to keep that creative edge sharp and your ambition alive.

I have been itching like crazy lately. That's one of the reasons that you will be reading a lot more posts on this blog soon. I have always enjoyed writing. But in the last few years, my writing was pretty much limited to work. Whether it was writing copy for a :30 spot for a new sponsor or writing a summary of a presentation for a conference. But this blog is truly re-kindling my love of writing. Even though I may just be writing about a drunk ass weekend or a crazy homeless guy on the train, it has shown me that I really appreciate being able to write.

But it doesn't seem to be enough anymore, even with the lack of posts lately. I seem to be striving to want to start a new side project. I have no idea what it is going to be. For some reason, I want to clutter up my day even more. It is not enough that I have a full-time job that I love. I need to have more outlets for creative thinking and to maximize the knowledge I have gained from college and from reading countless business books. It really could be anything. I have been wanting to write a book for a long time. I have also wanted to start a small business. My usual thoughts linger around starting a small online t-shirt company or eMagazine. Of course the thought of extra income doesn't hurt, but that's not what it is about.

I have had people tell me that I have accomplished a lot at the age of 24. I have graduated from college, gained valuable work experience from two great radio stations, found myself a new career focusing on my skills and talents and picked up and moved away from everything that I was comfortable with, and succeeded. But I think of my business icons and heroes. I think of the accomplishments of Donald Trump, Andrew Carnegie, and Jack Welch. These are men that strived to always do more while doing there current tasks better. This is what I am striving to do. I want to be dynamic, and ever expanding.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, feel free to shoot them my way.

"My experience has shown me that the people who are exceptionally good in business aren't so because of what they know but because of their insatiable need to know more." Michael Gerber

2 comments:

Cowboy said...

Looks like you have the drive. Blogs are the ultimate writing vehicle... it's developing the discipline to do it often that often proves difficult. I like what I've read so far, and you have no excuse for material living in a city like Chicago.

PS - Trump is a douche. His wealth was inherited.

Hitman said...

That is true. His money was originally inherited. But he took his father's business sense from building low income housing and created an empire. His empire incudes luxury residentials, hotels, golf courses, a clothing line, his own brand of bottled water, numerous best selling books, and Trump: The Frangrance. He may have had a great base to start with, but he certainly used it to its fullest.