Monday, August 13, 2007

Wrigley Field: An Inspiring Experience

A couple weeks ago I had mentioned that I was going to have my first ever experience walking into Wrigley Field and watching the Cubs play. I wanted to use the experience to compare the Cub's experience to the crazy experience I had at US Cellular. I was pleasantly surprised.

The main different between my two experiences was the amount of passion and tradition that is instilled in Cub's fans. There was something about the structure of the stadium and the fans that filled it. There seemed to be this ever present feeling of excitement and appreciation. There was much less vulgar blabbering by the fans and threats of violence. I sported my Tigers hat and American League Jersey from when the All Star game was in Detroit. I was not shot one malicious glance or word. I was accepted into the crowd as a fan of the game of baseball.

A prime example of acceptance was the Phillie's fan that was sitting in front of us. We cheered for the Cubs and he cheered for the Phillies. There was no booing or insults thrown either way. The game was a nail-biter and every pitch was important. And thats what seemed to really matter, The Game.

Off in the distance you saw displayed the number of years it has been since the Cubs won a World Series. And even though it has been 98 years, every fan sitting in the stadium was concentrating on the game and cheering for every good throw and play.

I was truly impressed with the behavior and passion of the Cubs' fans. It is impossible for me to change from having the Detroit Tigers be the number #1 baseball team that I cheer for. But I am certainly going to take on a secondary team. This secondary team, without question, will be the Chicago Cubs.

5 comments:

Garden Fresh Market said...

It was a pleasure having you in our friendly confines. Welcome my friend. And enjoy the ride!!!

gusgascoigne said...

My wife painted a picture of a tiger, which i posted on my blog, take a look.

Anonymous said...

Do you think you would have been embraced the same way if you had some crazy woman with you who insisted on screaming at the top of her lungs...and making your ears bleed? I know a few Detroit Fans were drawn to such behavior...

Jeen Yes said...

"is this heaven?"
"no, it's wrigley field."
"close enough."

glad you enjoyed it. i knew you would. welcome aboard the cubbie express!

NOW you see why the northsiders look down their noses at the southside trash.

Togo Anferny said...

Very inspriring - as a new resident to Wrigley, and one that has not had the lucky opportunity to frequent the inside of the stadium quite yet (September 5th - the Holy day, that I will see the inside) I could not be more excited about experiencing the Friendly Confines for myself.
~Ry