Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Looking for a good read?

There are a lot of exceptional authors and books out there for you to read. Some of my own personal favorites are the works of Donald Trump, Jeffrey Fox, Ben Tracy, Suze Orman, Dante, and Michael Lewis. But my most preferred author is Ben Mezrich.

I first was introduced to Ben Mezrich when I was sifting through discount books on amazon.com. I came across "Bringing Down The House" and decided to buy it. When it finally arrived at my house, I always get the free standard shipping by spending over $25, I cracked it open and started reading. There have not been many instances in my life when I could not put a book down, but this was one of those rare situations.

I was completely enthralled in the book. I have always been a fan of gambling, so I was immediately drawn into the high stakes, card counting atmosphere of this book.

But what really draws me to Ben's writing is the fact that he can make his way into these exclusive social circles. He writes from behind enemy lines and develops relationships with some of the most interestingly successful and manipulating people today. There are very few authors that can embrace these relationships and release a story that readers are dying to get their hands on. The closest comparison that I can think of would be Bob Woodward, who seems to be able to walk in to those hard to get political interviews.

I have read three of his books so far and I am going to purchase his latest after its upcoming release date. I would fully recommend all three, "Bringing Down The House" (not to be confused with that lame Queen Latifah movie), "Ugly Americans", and "Busting Vegas". I will have a post to let you know how "Rigged" turns out.

If you are interested in finding out more about Ben Mezrich, please check out his website.

http://www.benmezrich.com/

4 comments:

Katie said...

I haven't read anything by him although I have heard his name. I'll have to look him up.

Garden Fresh Market said...

I still suggest Harry potter.

Hitman said...

Harry Potter is lame.

Anonymous said...

Another interesting topic for me is mp3 music marketing. Highlights and reviews I read at stereoballs.blogspot.com